This is Cooper, a 3-year-old mixed pup. Cooper's family has gone through quite a few changes in the last year. His dad left his job to pursue education, which meant taking a lesser paying, part-time job.
Then Cooper started vomiting, not eating or drinking, and was obviously uncomfortable and expressed his discomfort by licking his paws and whining. His family knew they had to get him into the vet.
The vet did an x-ray, where it was very apparent Mr. Cooper had swallowed something he shouldn't have: a small ball.
Unfortunately dogs and cats sometimes eat foreign objects that can’t be digested; these objects can cause what vets call an obstruction or damage to the gastrointestinal tract resulting in serious consequences if they are not removed. Cooper's family is always prepared for emergencies, but with income being a little tighter, they don't have the reserves like they once had. In this case, Cooper needed emergency surgery, so his family applied to Fur Kids Foundation for assistance; we were more than happy to help.
An obstruction, also known as a gastrointestinal blockage, is a common problem in dogs (especially puppies) because of their curious nature and desire to taste nearly everything. An obstruction prevents solids or liquids from passing through the gastrointestinal tract, which also decreases blood flow to the bowels, causing deterioration and absorption of toxic contents. Symptoms can include:
Cooper had his emergency surgery and a small rubber ball was removed. His dad believes it's from a golf ball that he had run over with the lawn mower days prior. He didn't know Cooper had found the broken insides from the golf ball, but it was apparent he did.
Cooper's dad says: "Thank you so much for all that you guys do. I've been to a few events you guys host, and it just tears at my heart strings for all that you guys do. It's crazy for me to be on the other end of the story now. Because a year ago we were more financially stable. And to have help like you guys and Jen is amazing! This community is truly blessed to have you! And thank you so much from the bottom of my heart!"
Cooper's dad reports Cooper is home and feeling better. We hope he learns his lesson and knows that he and small toys don't get along well.
If you suspect your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t have, do not hesitate to contact your vet immediately. Obstructions are medical emergencies for dogs. If left untreated, it could result in severe fluid loss (because the dog doesn’t want to eat or drink), intestinal rupture and death.
For an accurate diagnosis of your pet's condition, Fur Kids Foundation encourages you to make an appointment with your veterinarian.
About Fur Kids Foundation
Fur Kids Foundation is 100% run by dedicated volunteers who give their time to help the Foundation raise money with events, take applications, and spread the word about the good work the Foundation does in Campbell County, Wyoming. If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help local families with animals afford emergency veterinary care, please consider making a tax-deductible donation via PayPal or signing up to become a volunteer. Read more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.