This is Bo, a 5-year-old red heeler. Recently, Bo got a hankering to eat an entire package of sugar-free gum, and gave his dad quite a fright!
Thankfully, his dad knew that sugar-free anything was bad for animals, and while it was after normal business hours, he called his vet and brought Bo in for an examination immediately. At the vet, Bo was monitored closely to make sure he wouldn’t get sick from the sugar-free gum.
If you’re not aware, there are certain sugar-free gums, candies, hygiene products and baked goods that contain xylitol, a sugar alcohol that is often used as a sweetener. For dogs, xylitol is a poison, and it may cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures, and in severe cases kidney or liver failure. In most cases, symptoms develop within 15 to 30 minutes of the dog eating the xylitol, but some sugar-free gums delay the onset of symptoms for up to 12 hours. A small piece of sugar-free gum (or 0.1 g/kg of xylitol) may be considered a toxic dose of xylitol, depending on the dog's weight.
Bo’s dad had recently lost his job. This incident not only scared Bo’s dad, it also made him worried about how he’d pay his bill for his dog’s after hours visit and stay. He applied to Fur Kids Foundation, and we were happy to help.
Luckily Bo was OK; he didn’t ingest enough of the xylitol to make him sick, and he’s happy to be at home with his dad, helping him apply for a job.
A quick tip: Check the ingredient list of products that may contain xylitol, such as gums, candies, toothpaste, baking sweeteners, etc. Place those items in locked cabinets or areas too high for your pet to access. If your dog is extremely persistent about stealing food, it is probably best not to have xylitol in your home.
Fur Kids Foundation is 100% ran by dedicated volunteers who give their time to help the Foundation raise money, take applications, and spread the word about the good work the Foundation does in Campbell County, Wyoming. If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help local families with animals afford emergency veterinary care, please consider making a tax-deductible donation via PayPal or signing up to become a volunteer. You can see a list of those who support us on our Supporters page. Check out more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!