Check out Athena, a 1-year-old pit bull. Athena got very sick unexpectedly--she was vomiting, sluggish, and it was obvious to her family that she was uncomfortable. When her mom took her to the vet, the X-ray showed an obstruction in her intestines--what appeared to be a sock--and it needed to be removed.
According to the Pet Health Network: When something is ingested by your cat or dog, it usually takes between 10-24 hours to move through the entire digestive tract. Some objects are too big to digest, and those cause an obstruction. If the foreign body has made it to the colon, it’s likely to pass; however, there’s still the possibility that it will be painful, especially if it is sharp (like a stick). In cases like this, you need veterinary assistance. Please note: NEVER pull a foreign object that is protruding from your pet’s butt! If still lodged inside, this can cause damage to the internal tissues.
Watch for these common symptoms to determine whether you need to seek veterinary attention:
· Abdominal tenderness or pain
· Behavioral changes such as biting, growling or hissing when picked up
· Diarrhea or even straining to defecate; constipation
· Lack of appetite; anorexia
· Lack of energy
If you pet exhibits any of these symptoms, or if you know your pet has ingested something they shouldn't have, call your veterinarian immediately.
Please know that timing is very important in situations like these as an intestinal or stomach blockage often cuts off the blood supply to necessary tissues. If your pet doesn’t receive appropriate treatment, those tissues can die, and severe damage or death may result.
Athena’s mom applied for help with Fur Kids Foundation because she's a single mom with a limited income, and she was also laid off for a while last year. She was very worried for her pup, and was thankful that we could help.
We’re happy to report that Athena had surgery to remove the sock that was stuck inside her, and she’s on the mend. Her mom is now going to keep an eye on any stray articles of clothing throughout the home.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!