Mugsy’s parents started noticing that he wasn’t acting like his usual self--Mugsy was throwing up and acting mopey, so his mom rushed him to the vet.
After a few tests, the vet said they felt the issue was a bowel obstruction. Because of their finances, Mugsy’s parents opted to wait and see if what was in his belly would pass on its own. When it didn’t pass, Mugsy was brought back in for surgery.
If your dog has an obstruction of their intestines, they may show signs of vomiting (especially after eating), possible dehydration (due to vomiting), weakness and a loss of interest in eating / weight loss. A blockage can restrict blood flow to the bowels, and can cause toxins to enter the blood and for the intestines to be damaged or destroyed. This can make the situation life threatening. If you feel your dog may have an obstruction, please bring them to the vet immediately.
Mugsy’s dad has just started a job in North Dakota, and they just paid a large part of their bills. The family exhausted all of their means to cover the surgery, but couldn't come up with anything, so they applied to Fur Kids Foundation.
What they found in Mugsy's belly is quite amazing: a whole rope toy. Whole. Not chewed in different pieces or anything. WHOLE! The vet said that it was a miracle that Mugsy didn't choke while he was swallowing it. In fact, Red Hills Veterinary Hospital produced two videos of the surgery, for those who may be interested in watching the removal of the rope toy: