Phoenix started throwing up blood and acting sluggish. His parents knew that something was seriously wrong, so they rushed him to the vet. The vet initially suspected a blockage, but it was so much more interesting than that: Phoenix had a cecal impaction, which is not seen very often.
For those who don’t know, the cecum is a small pocket where the large intestine and small intestine meet - it's a dead end in the colon. In fact, in a human it is where the appendix is located. A few days before Phoenix wasn’t feeling well, he munched down on a diaper. While he passed the diaper, everything he ate after that and some of the diaper remains got caught in the cecal. (Just so you know, other signs of a cecal impaction include diarrhea, anorexia and feces containing blood or mucus.) The vet let Phoenix’s parents know that he needed surgery immediately
Phoenix's family has fallen on some hard times, financially, and they recently had a baby. Phoenix’s unexpected veterinary bills were more than the family could handle. They applied to Fur Kids Foundation for help. Phoenix is on the road to recovery.
Note: If your dog ingests a foreign object, it’s best to take them to the vet immediately. The best measure is to allow professionals to assess the situation.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.