This is Maggie the 6-month-old Boxer, and Marley the 13-year-old Pug.
Maggie and Marley’s dad, like many in our community, was laid off from work due to COVID-19. While he was laid off, Maggie (the puppy) decided to eat a flashlight. Her dad thought he found all of the pieces, but he was afraid that Maggie ate the batteries, so he brought her into the veterinarian to make sure.
Since Maggie and Marley are BFFs, he also brought Marley in with him. While Maggie getting an X-ray, he asked about Marley's masses and mentioned that she wasn't eating very well. The vet did an exam on Marley and found that Marley had several infected teeth that needed to be removed.
What Maggie was getting an X-ray for was a bowl obstruction. Obstructions are caused when a dog eats a foreign objects such as toys, rocks, socks, bones, flashlights and more. Unfortunately, these objects are unable to pass through the intestines and then become lodged, which can cause perforation of the stomach and intestines, and can cause death. Signs that your dog may have a blockage include:
As for Marley, dental disease is a very common illness in dogs, which can affect 80% of all dogs by age two. It can also be quite painful. According to Banfield Pet Hospital, there are four stages of periodontal disease, progressing from plaque and mildly inflamed gums to established gingivitis (gum disease), and then on to mild and ultimately severe periodontitis, which may involve bone and/or tooth loss. The most common sign of dental disease in dogs is bad breath. Other signs to watch for:
Taking care of your dog’s teeth is very important. This can be done with regular brushing, dental chews, chew toys, and yearly dental consultations during your pup’s regular check up with the vet can help to keep their teeth and mouth healthy.
Their dad applied for help with Fur Kids Foundation, and we were happy to help. Luckily, Maggie did not have an obstruction, even though the batteries were never found, and Marley had her bad teeth removed along with a few of the masses. Marley is eating better and Maggie is back to being a puppy. Their dad is thankful we were able to help, and hoping that Maggie doesn't decide to eat toys she shouldn't.
About Fur Kids Foundation
Fur Kids Foundation is 100% run by dedicated volunteers who give their time to help the Foundation raise money with events, take applications, and spread the word about the good work the Foundation does in Campbell County, Wyoming. If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help local families with animals afford emergency veterinary care, please consider making a tax-deductible donation via PayPal or signing up to become a volunteer. Read more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!