This handsome devil is Rouger, a 1-year-old pit bull. Rouger's mom says she loves him so much, and was very worried when Rouger wasn’t his normal self. Rouger had very little energy, was acting dizzy and was not wanting to eat. His mom was very concerned that Rouger got into something that he shouldn't have—and then they noticed there was antifreeze on the floor of the garage. So they thought the worst and took him to the vet immediately.
Rouger stayed at the vet for a few days, had a variety of tests done, was monitored, and slowly he started to make a recovery. It didn't appear that he had ingested any antifreeze, but his parents were sure to clean their garage before he came home! The vet thinks Rouger had a summer stomach bug.
It’s true; dogs can get a stomach virus just like people can. Your vet will likely refer to it as viral gastroenteritis. And just like most viruses, this canine stomach virus is spread by contact with another sick dog. According to Wag, common symptoms include:
Rouger's mom just started a new job after being off of work for a long time. His dad has been paying for the bills for the last few months, and this expense was way out of their budget. The family completed an application for Fur Kids Foundation, and we were more than happy to help. We're happy to announce that Rouger is making a full recovery!
Antifreeze Poisoning in Dogs and Cats
We’re all very thankful that Rouger didn’t have antifreeze poisoning; however, we want you to know the signs anyway.
Antifreeze is downright deadly to dogs. The toxin ethylene glycol is the lethal ingredient in antifreeze. Often, dogs will consume large quantities of it before being repulsed by its aftertaste. Unfortunately, by then it is too late—less than three ounces of antifreeze is sufficient to poison a medium-sized dog. Antifreeze poisoning affects the brain, liver, and kidneys.
Often even dogs who consume a very quantity of antifreeze may survive, but will develop kidney failure within days of ingestion. Unfortunately, death due to kidney damage is common among animals that have been poisoned by antifreeze.
According to PetMD, some common signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs and cats include:
The best way to keep your dog from being poisoned by antifreeze is by prevention. Check out these tips:
About Fur Kids Foundation
Fur Kids Foundation is 100% run by dedicated volunteers who give their time to help the Foundation raise money with events, take applications, and spread the word about the good work the Foundation does in Campbell County, Wyoming. If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help local families with animals afford emergency veterinary care, please consider making a tax-deductible donation via PayPal or signing up to become a volunteer. Read more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.