This handsome dude is Capone, a 2-year-old mixed cutie.
Capone likes to keep his mom on his toes. A few years ago, Capone's mom received help from Fur Kids Foundation when he ate a box of raisins. Since that emergency, she's worked hard on creating a fund for emergency veterinary visits.
However, life happens, and so do the holidays, which meant that her reserve wasn’t as big as she would have liked. Unfortunately, that's when Capone decided to eat a glass Christmas bulb.
In our opinion, dogs likely don’t eat glass by choice, but when it’s in the form of a ball or perhaps another small shiny shape, overly curious dogs may just want to give it a try. We lovingly refer to dogs as equal-opportunity eaters. If it looks edible (and definitely if it smells edible) they will put it in their mouth. Biting down on glass makes dogs run the risk of cutting their tongue, lip and gums, which could result in bleeding.
In Capone’s case, a piece of that glass bulb got wedged under his tooth, and his mom knew that Capone had to be seen at the veterinarian. His mom contacted Fur Kids Foundation and applied for assistance, and we were happy to help this family again.
Capone was monitored for the night and had the bulb removed from his mouth. Thankfully, he’s back to his normal goofy self. We're hoping he stops worrying his mom soon and stays healthy while she builds back up her vet savings for him.
What to do if your dog swallows glass?
Please, if you know that your dog has swallowed something dangerous like glass, call your vet immediately. Any signs such as straining to go to the bathroom, blood in their stool, lack of energy, little appetite or signs of abdominal pain, take your dog to the vet. These signs indicate a blockage or damage to the intestinal tract that requires life-saving surgery. If your dog is gagging or pawing at their throat, those as signs of choking, and you will need to get them to the vet to get the object removed ASAP.
About Fur Kids Foundation
Fur Kids Foundation is 100% run by dedicated volunteers who give their time to help the Foundation raise money with events, take applications, and spread the word about the good work the Foundation does in Campbell County, Wyoming. If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help local families with animals afford emergency veterinary care, please consider making a tax-deductible donation via PayPal or signing up to become a volunteer. Read more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.