This snuggle bug is Bandit, a 4-month-old mixed puppy. Jumping, chewing, and finding mischief are some pretty typical traits of puppies, as they are learning. Unfortunately, these same traits helped Bandit get into something he shouldn’t.
While his dad was out for an appointment one day, Bandit leapt up to the kitchen counter tops and ate a bottle of Ibuprofen. When his dad came home he noticed he was crying and vomiting; then he discovered the chewed up bottle and the Ibuprofen missing from it. He rushed Bandit to the vet immediately.
For those who may not know, ibuprofen is the active ingredient in Advil and Nuprin, and is widely used to treat pain, fever, and inflammation in people. Unfortunately, these drugs can be extremely toxic (poisonous) to cats and dogs. According to Vetstreet, a single 200-milligram ibuprofen tablet can be toxic to a cat or small- to medium-sized dog.
The most common side effect of a pet ingesting ibuprofen is stomach irritation, which can include vomiting (sometimes with blood) and diarrhea, which could be a dark color. This irritation can also cause stomach ulcers and perforations (holes in the stomach wall that allow stomach acid to leak into the belly). Other symptoms include:
If a pet eats ibuprofen, it can also cause damage to the kidneys and brain, which can cause seizures and coma. It’s very important to note that Ibuprofen should not be given to your pet, unless instructed to do so by your veterinarian. Fur Kids Foundation encourages you to keep all medications in the home secured to help prevent accidental swallowing by pets.
His dad was a local business owner, but due to the season and economy he was forced to close the doors of his business. His dad calls Bandit his best friend and was given him as a gift to help with his depression, so he couldn't imagine losing him. After many days at the vet clinic and a lot of fluids, Bandit was out of the woods and was able to go home to his family, but the bill was more than Bandit’s dad could afford, so he reached out to Fur Kids Foundation for help.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!