Bella is a three-year-old Pomchi (a cross between the Pomeranian and the Chihuahua) who was really sick. Her family watched as poor Bella shook, vomited and lost her appetite.
Her family rushed her to the vet clinic where she had to stay the night, receive fluids, and was eventually diagnosed with Hemorrhaic Gastroenteritis (HGE). According to VCA Animal Hospitals, HGE can affect any breed, age, size, or gender of dog, but it is most common in small- and toy-breed dogs. Most cases of HGE occur suddenly in healthy dogs.
The exact cause of HGE can be related to eating non-food items or even dramatically different foods than what the dog is accustomed to, intestinal parasites and bacteria, or even stress, anxiety, and hyperactivity in many cases. Dogs with HGE will appear severely ill and, if left untreated, may die, so it is best to rush your dog to a vet immediately if you see the following symptoms:
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!