Bodhi and his parents moved into a new apartment, and moving can often be stressful for pets and their owners. But Bodhi sure wasn’t acting like himself. What they learned was that Bodhi found and ate some rat poison hidden in a hole behind the toilet that was left by the landlord. Rat poison sure tastes good to the rodent it’s trying to catch, but it also tastes good to other animals. Poisoning in cats often looks like this:
- lethargic or sluggish behavior, napping more often than usual
- withdrawl or avoiding you, not seeking your attention
- pale gums
- excessive drooling
- sudden vomiting or even vomiting blood
- bloody stools
- a bloated stomach that causes the cat to react in pain when touched
- trouble breathing
- and seizures.
Bodhi's mom is going to school full time and working part time, and his dad is currently unable to work because he’s recovering from spine surgery. Bodhi’s parents knew they needed to get him to the vet, but weren’t quite sure how they were going to pay for the emergency visit. They reached out to Fur Kids Foundation, and we were able to help cover the costs of medication and fluids to help Bodhi return to his usual rambunctious self. Bodhi is making a full recovery, and has a wonderful and happy future ahead of him.
Bodhi’s parents had looked over the apartment for other dangers, but had missed the hole near the toilet with the rat poison. If you plan on moving with your pet to an apartment in the future, please consider asking your landlord if they use any poisons for insects or rodents, and ask them to show you where they put it. You should also request that they let you know if they put any others down in the future so you can keep your pet away from it. Likewise, if your landlord sprays the yard or lot for weeds in the spring, summer or fall, be sure to ask them to let you know when that is done so you can keep your pets away from the area for a few days to avoid exposure.
Please know that if your pet ingests rat poison, or other poisons, the end result without a veterinary visit is often death. If you suspect your pet has eaten poison, please get them to a vet as soon as possible. Remember, with poisonings, the key is early detection!
We found some more articles that talk about poisoning in pets. Feel free to check them out.
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) Mobile App
- Mercola: Poisoning in pets
- Pet MD: Rat poisoning in cats
If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.