The vet found that Buddy had an abscess that was infected. Abscesses are a common skin condition in cats, which often occur as a result of bites during fights but can also occur from other means, such as a cat running into a sharp object that may have bacteria on it.
Abscesses are often swollen, hot, and painful for the cat when touched. If they open, a thick yellowish discharge may be seen, and this will often have a foul smell. If an abscess does not open, the cat may become ill. In cats, an abscess is often hidden under the fur, and the first sign of illness the owner may see is that the cat is acting depressed and not eating. The cat usually has a fever. If the abscess is on a leg, the cat may limp. The cat may try to bite if the area is stroked or touched because the abscess is painful. Because of the pain, some cats may appear irritable or aggressive.
The vet thoroughly cleaned the area around the abscess and gave Buddy some antibiotics so the infection would go away.
Buddy's mom fell on some hard times, so she reached out to Fur Kids Foundation to help her cover the costs of his emergency vet visit. We recently received a message from Buddy’s mom that he’s feeling much better!
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.