Recently, Copper’s parents noticed that he was acting differently—he was pacing and it seemed like he was having a hard time getting comfortable. They could tell that their adorable pup wasn’t feel well. While at the vet’s office, they learned that Copper had a foreign body compacted in his stomach and that he had bloated. The vet had to do emergency surgery to save Copper's life.
Bloat is a very serious health risk for many dogs, yet too few dog owners know about it. Bloat happens when a dog’s stomach fills with food, fluid or gas that makes it expand. This will cause the stomach to put pressure on other organs, which can cause dangerous problems, such as:
• No blood flow to his heart and stomach lining
• A tear in the wall of his stomach
• A harder time breathing
In some cases, the dog's stomach will rotate or twist, a condition that vets call gastric dilatation volvulus. This traps blood in the stomach and blocks it from returning to the heart and other areas of the body, which can send your dog into shock. Vet’s aren’t exactly sure what can cause bloat, but they do have some risks:
- Eating or drinking too much
- Eating from a raised bowl or too quickly
- Excessive running or playing after meals
- Having one meal per day
Bloat is often reported in deep-chested dogs like German Shepherds, Great Danes, and Dobermans; however, Basset Hounds are well-known to have issues with it. It’s very important to note that bloat can kill your beloved pet, so if you see any of the following symptoms in your dog, bring them to the vet immediately:
• Acting restless, pacing or having a hard time getting comfortable
• Have a swollen or bloated abdomen that may feel tight – like a drum
• Frequent attempts to vomit unsuccessfully
• Hunched up appearance
• Licking the air
• May attempt to eat grass, stones or twigs
During surgery, the vet found that the compaction was a big wad of grass. Copper’s parents aren’t sure if he ate too much grass causing the compaction then leading to the bloat, or if he ate a lot of grass because he was uncomfortable from bloating, but they’re happy he’s alive and well.
Emergency surgery isn’t easy for any pet parent to cover, but Copper’s mom recently had a baby and is on maternity leave. Because she had some medical issues during the pregnancy, she hasn’t been cleared to go back to work yet, so Copper’s dad is the only income for the family right now. They reached out to Fur Kids Foundation, and we were happy to help.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.