Allow us to introduce you to Sasha, an energetic 3-year-old pit bull who is dearly loved by her family.
On May 31, 2017, Sasha’s mom came home to find Sasha jumping and snapping at nothing in the air; and then she noticed large amounts of vomit in their back yard. While her mom was walking around the yard, she found a large piece of raw hamburger with a white powdery substance in it. It dawned on Sasha’s mom that something wasn’t right.
Sasha was rushed into the vet clinic where the vet confirmed that Sasha was poisoned, but they didn’t know with what. The symptoms of a poisoned pet depend upon the type of poison they are exposed to. Signs may include:
If your pet is suffering from one, or more, of these signs, do exactly what Sasha’s mom did and take them to the vet immediately.
Sasha was kept overnight at the clinic to have fluids pumped through her, and we’re relieved to say that she’s making a full recovery. Sasha's mom is a single parent of three girls and is only able to work part time. She did not have anywhere near the money to help pay for the vet care, so she reached out to Fur Kids Foundation for help.
This family is aware that Sasha barks a lot, as they have had complaints about the dog barking. Sasha’s mom has been working with animal control on ways to prevent Sasha from barking as much, and she's been getting better. Her mom doesn't know if the person who gave Sasha the poison was upset about her barking, but wishes if that were the case they would have visited with her. She has three young children and can't imagine what would have happened had one of her daughters found the poison first. You can read more about Sasha's story in the June 2 Gillette News Record article, Police pursue person who poisoned pup.
If you know or suspect your dog is poisoned, Fur Kids Foundation board members encourage you to collect the remaining poison or any other substances involved, such as stool or vomit—this evidence can help your vet identify the type of poison that has affected your dog. Then, call your vet, and Animal Control, 307.686.5249, or law enforcement agency – if you're in the City of Gillette, call the Police Department at 307.682.5155; Campbell County, call the Sheriff's Office at 307.682.7271.
If your pet is ever a victim of animal cruelty, or if you ever witness an act of cruelty, please call Animal Control at 307.686.5249. Cruelty has no place in our community. No place.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.
Reported in the Blotter in the Gillette News Record on June 1: A dog is being treated by a veterinarian after it was poisoned by eating a meatball laced with some substance on Wednesday afternoon, Police Lt. Chuck Deaton said. No other information on the dog or case was available and the investigation continues. If you have any information about this case, please call Animal Control at 307.686.5249.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!