Meet Winona, an itty bitty teeny weeny chiweenie.
Winona’s mom was getting her medications together for her pain management appointment, and she accidentally dropped some pills on the floor—and like a true naughty 12-week-old puppy, Winona gobbled them up as quickly as she could. Her mom knew that Winona would have to be rushed to the vet.
Dogs affected by drug poisoning may show the following signs:
An immediate first aid option for dog owners who know that their pet has ingested some medication is to try to induce vomiting with a simple 3% hydrogen peroxide solution of one teaspoon per five pounds of body weight, with no more than three teaspoons given at once (even if your dog weighs more than 45 pounds).
Please note: This method should only be used if the drug has been ingested in the previous two hours, and should only be given three times, spaced apart at 15-minute intervals. If your dog has not vomited after the third dose, do not do anything further to try to induce vomiting. Do not use anything stronger than hydrogen peroxide without your veterinarian's advice. If your dog has already vomited, do not try to force more vomiting. And, do not induce vomiting if you dog is having trouble breathing, is unconscious or is showing serious distress. After the initial care, bring your dog to the vet for necessary further treatment.
Luckily, Winona reached the vet in time and they were able to push fluids through her and have her vomit up the pills.
Winona’s mom is currently on disability, which is just enough for her to cover her living expenses and day to day pet expenses, but not much more. She reached out to Fur Kids Foundation to help, and we were happy to assist.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.
Created in November 2011, the Fur Kids Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization that provides education and aid to promote the well-being of animals in Campbell County.
Your donation saves lives. It goes to work helping animals in Campbell County receive adequate veterinary care during a time when their family may not be able to afford it. Please contact the Foundation to learn more or donate now using PayPal.
The Fur Kids Foundation blog is written by board member and Founder Felicia. If you have ideas that you would like to see published in the blog such as concerns about pet-focused topics in the community or a funny story, please contact the Foundation. Enjoy!