Bella’s parents noticed one day that she seemed incredibly uncomfortable, was drooling, not eating, and was very needy and wanted to be on her mom’s lap the whole time. They thought she had eaten something that she shouldn’t have, and could have had a blockage. They decided they would take Bella to the vet. While they were on their way, they noticed her slobber was getting out of control, and she just didn't want to move. While at the vet's office, they discovered that Bella didn’t have a blockage, she had cheat grass lodged in her throat.
For those who don’t know, cheat grass is a hairy, or bristle-like, limb on many types of grasses—some people call them awns, mean seeds, timothy, foxtails, or June grass, among others. These spikes and sharp edges stick and hold onto surfaces so that the seeds can spread to surrounding areas. Unfortunately, those sharp ends allow the cheat grass to penetrate into and through the skin of a dog. Cheat grass can be inhaled, become lodged in the ears, swallowed, or even just embedded in the coat or skin. It is when they are not quickly removed that they can become a problem.
According to PetMD, embedded cheat grass can cause abscesses, discharge, swelling, pain, and even death. If you see cheat grass in your dog’s coat, be sure to pick them out by hand or brush their coat. If you see cheat grass in your dog’s nose or eye, you should take them to the vet immediately. Check out this PetMD article and video, Can grass kill your dog, for more information.
Bella’s dad was laid off for the third time this year, her mom is self-employed in the oil field and her hours have been limited, so they were concerned they wouldn’t be able to pay for a possible surgery. That’s when they reached out to Fur Kids Foundation for help with Bella's emergency vet bills. The cheat grass had irritated Bella’s throat and caused major discomfort, but thankfully her parents caught it and took her to the vet right away. We’re happy to report that she’s well on her way to recovery.
Fur Kids Foundation is grateful for the dedication of our volunteers and supporters who have helped local families stay happy and healthy, and together! If you would like to help Fur Kids Foundation continue to help families in Campbell County, Wyoming with animals, please consider making a tax-deductible donation. The money helps families during a time when they may not be able to afford adequate veterinary care. Check out more Success Stories.